Historic Tukwila church is under tender care | Tukwila's story
June 21, 2012 · 12:50 PM
The Tukwila Historical Society each month will tell a piece of Tukwila's history – Tukwila's story.
There is a building on the Duwamish River which records show as a church in Allentown before Tukwila’s incorporation. Religious services began in 1905. It has been called Duwamish Community Chapel and Duwamish Presbyterian Church. One theory being researched is that the building was a school in Georgetown before moving to the current neighborhood. Historical records confirm the building was not built at the present site and physical evidence shows the building had been cut in two pieces.
The building now being called Duwamish Community Chapel was recently purchased by Tukwila Fellowship Church and led by Pastor James Hunley. Church members have been holding services in the building since 1992. Recent updates include a new cross, back-porch replacement and exterior painting. The pastor’s wish list includes a new foundation with earthquake retrofitting (currently deteriorating wood pillars), new plumbing, woodwork and flooring restoration, new furnace and water heater, replacement windows with turn of the century look and set of original entry doors.
Pastor Hunley’s ancestors were Scottish immigrants who settled in Tennessee with Civil War connections. His great-great uncles were on opposing sides of the war. Horace L. Hunley, financier and submarine pioneer who built the H.L. Hunley, supported the Confederate government. The pastor and family are residents in Tukwila and committed to caring for the vintage building and congregation.
The Tukwila Historical Society welcomes Duwamish Community Chapel and will work with Pastor Hunley confirming the beginnings of this beautiful building. If you have historic photos or information regarding the Duwamish Community Chapel, contact Louise Jones-Brown at Tukwila Heritage and Cultural Center phone 206/244-HIST. Email: email@example.com.