The following information was provided on behalf of the Tukwila Fire Department:
Five people including three firefighters were hospitalized today, Jan. 31, after potentially being exposed to a chemical.
The began in the 1100 block of Industry Drive around 1 p.m. when an employee at a company who handles hazardous materials called 911 to report they were having difficulty breathing and were suffering from dizziness.
While firefighters treated the employee, they along with another person at the location began to experience shortness of breath.
The material that appeared to cause the symptoms was Methyl Magnesium Iodide (MMI). The release stated, it is unclear what the chemical is used for.
The five people affected were evaluated by King County medics and transported to a local hospital as a precaution.
During the incident, the area was evacuated and nearby streets were closed.
Trained hazardous materials technicians entered the building and determined the MMI was the cause of the medical issues.
The technicians also ensured the liquid was sealed and would not be a future issue, the release stated.
The building was aired out and turned back over to the company.
The nearby roads that were closed have also reopened.