School is just around the corner. This time of year, parents are getting their scholars ready by purchasing school supplies, and teachers are preparing for the first day on Tuesday, Sept. 5.
To kick off this school year, we ask our community, our faith-based organizations, our sorority and fraternity sisters and brothers and local businesses to join us in greeting our scholars on the first day of school. Please arrive at the secondary schools at 7:30 a.m. or the elementary schools at 8:30 a.m. to welcome all. Our goal is to provide encouragement, excitement and a genuine commitment to every scholar that we serve.
This summer our teachers have been involved in extensive professional development, preparing for the school year. They are ready and eager to begin this school year putting their training into action in their classrooms.
For this school year, I am calling on all of us—businesses, community members, civic organizations, families, students, staff—to help us focus on one major campaign: attendance and reaching out to families who have left our district for one reason or another. Our enrollment continues to decline, and we must attract and retain families for the future of our district and community. To do this well will require all of us in Tukwila – each and every one of us – to participate in a Tukwila on the Move campaign highlighting the great work going on in our district. The campaign is a strategy where every employee and business group shouts out our wonderful accomplishments from the 2016-17 school year. Here are a few:
• We purchased 10 new buses for our scholars as they are welcomed to each and every school day.
• We purchased four Creative Learning Labs, a project-based, blended-learning, hands-on, minds-on learning curriculum. These will be showcased during Curriculum Night at each school.
• We served more than 300 students in kindergarten through 12th grade for our summer school .
• Several elementary teachers from each school participated in art-infused education for language arts and mathematics.
• Teachers are being trained with the new online reporting system for standards-based reporting.
• Teachers participated in coaching sessions, working with experts in the field of language acquisition training.
• We purchased 21st century Agile Minds math curriculum for our middle school scholars.
• We implemented the Tukwila Online School. A school for scholars throughout the state outside of our district who would like a different opportunity to succeed.
• Cascade View construction on time for the opening of the school year.
There are so many accomplishments to be proud of, from the integration of blended-learning technology into our classrooms for the 2017-18 school year and the modernization of our schools through our bond and levy. I am confident that the scholars entering our district will have a world class education to meet his/her individual needs.
Let’s make it a great year, Tukwila.
Tukwila School Superintendent Nancy Coogan can be reached at 206-901-8006 or at email@example.com.