By LOUISE JONES-BROWN
Tukwila Historical Society
A recent search into the Tukwila Historical Society archives located a newspaper article from August 1950. The photo features a way of life that is no longer found in our metropolitan area: mail was NOT delivered to homes but picked up at boxes located in a local business which created a “town meeting place.”
The Tukwila Post Office was in a corner of Heemink’s grocery store that was located on Interurban Avenue near the present-day Galliano’s Italian Restaurant. There was a prominent sign with the words U.S. Post Office painted on both sides so it could be seen whether one was traveling northbound or southbound on the road.
A closer look of the photo shows some items that are recognized even today, such as Van De Kamp’s cookies, Ritz crackers and Wonder Bread.
The sign that identified this post office location was preserved and is now on display at the Tukwila Heritage and Cultural Center, 14475 59th Ave. S. Tukwila.
Louise Jones-Brown is president of the Tukwila Historical Society. The society operates the Tukwila Heritage and Cultural Center, 14475 59th Ave. S., Tukwila. Reach the center by phone at 206-244-HIST or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.